Summer has finally arrived! Hurray!! It is the time to pack your bag and go to your favorite vacation spot. But, wait, are you missing something? Yes, your fitness!
On the other hand, summer means thrill and fun, but most of you often forget how harmful the sun rays can be. The UV rays from the sun can affect your body as well as skin. Along with it, you get more dehydrated in the summer due to the nasty sweat.
Who will take care of your fitness while enjoying pool parties, BBQ, and surfing? Of course, it’s you who is going to be less chaotic during the summer season. In fact, along with the enjoyment, summer also brings the desire of ice creams, and indeed, ignoring the exercise and diet.
Thankfully, Healthshala has fabricated a few tips to stay healthy this summer!
1. Drink Plenty of Water
As summer is here, so you are more likely to get dehydrated due to heat and sweat. Scarcity of water in the body can lead you to eat more food when you are not hungry actually. Drinking at least two to three liters of water a day can help you stay hydrated throughout the day.
Be more creative when it comes to drinking plenty of water in the summer. Adding some mint leaves and lime slices or some frozen berries can make it much enjoyable. Try to consume food having high-water content like tomatoes, watermelon, and cucumbers in your diet.
2. Stay Active
As summer season is arriving, and it doesn’t mean you don’t have to work out at all. No matter what the season is, working out is an essential factor to stay healthy. Regular physical activity in the summer can be great as you can involve your family in it. You need to follow some precautions, so you don’t get panic in the cruel heat.
- Try to exercise when it is cooler outside. Working out in the morning or evening can be great. If it is too hot outdoors, go to the gym, or you can exercise in sheltered places.
- As discussed earlier, don’t forget to drink plenty of water throughout the day. Don’t just drink water when you are thirsty. Your body needs water throughout the day.
- Sweat is a significant problem during the summers. Wearing lightweight and loose-fitting clothing can help sweat evaporate faster, and you stay cooler.
- Physical activity is essential for everyone. So, why don’t you involve your family in it? Bring your family members to the park, dance on music. A little healthier competition will spread the eagerness to work out daily.
- Who loves nature? Of course, everyone does! Plan your summer vacations at some active places. Hiking, camping, scuba diving, and canoeing are some of the best ways to spend time in nature. If you could rent a bicycle, it would be an excellent exercise for your body.
3. You Are What You Eat
Want to stay healthy? You have to eat right and stay healthy. As it is said, ‘you are what you eat,’ eating right at the right time is the key to stay fit every season.
You might be thrilled, as it is a great time to enjoy outside food with family and friends. Try adding melons, salads, berries, and cookouts to your meal to beat the summer. But, you need to be careful as warm temperature might spoil your food.
- Don’t forget to wash your hands, containers, and utensils before using food so that the harmful bacteria can be stopped from spreading.
- Don’t cook your food in advance as bacteria takes less time to grow.
- Do remember to wash your vegetables before cutting to not to get sick.
- Eat more veggies, fish, and chicken. Reduce the intake of pork, hot dogs, and ground beef.
4. Beware of the sun
UV rays from the sun are majorly responsible for the skin cancer. So, you need to be aware of the all the cancer-preventing products and recommendations before you step out of your house in the summers.
- When you go out to face the harsh UV rays, wear a hat and clothing to defend your skin. Do wear sunglasses that are specially made to block UV rays.
- Make use of sunscreen having SPF (sun protection factor) of at least 30.
- UV rays are the strongest from 10 AM to 4 PM, so you need to stay away from direct sunlight between these times.
5. Take it easy on the Alcohol
Summer season can force you to drink beer as it feels fresh. However, alcohol and other sweet drinks can dehydrate you right away. If possible, try limiting the use of alcohol and such type of drinks, especially in the hot weather. Smoothies without sugar and lemon juice can be a great substitute.
It not only lessens the amount of alcohol in your body but will also help cut your calorie intake. Moreover, more alcohol consumption can lead to a hangover, and you may end up feeling depressed.
Also, read: How to Lose Fat and not Muscle
6. Take up new hobbies
If you are looking to inculcate a new hobby this summer, it is the perfect time for you. You should aim to burn more calories, so try those hobbies which help increase your fitness level. Gardening can be a better way to enjoy the nature and would help you burn more calories.
Furthermore, you can get your hands dirty by planting vegetables in your garden. By doing this, you are taking care of your health physically and by eating healthy and natural food. If gardening is not your cup tea, get some motivation from your favorite player, and try your hands at sports. Yoga can be a perfect work out to improve yourself both physically as well as mentally.
7. Don’t Forget To Eat Breakfast
Do you know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day? All your fun can be ruined if you do not take proper nutrition in the morning. Ignoring breakfast can lead to dehydration, heat overexposure, and fainting.
Taking a healthy breakfast with proper nutrition can improve blood sugars, prevent these risks, and perk up energy levels to jump-start the day with positivity.
Now that you are aware of all the things to stay fit and healthy this summer, all you need to do is taking action right now! Don’t just wait for some inspiration or something else. Pack your bags and get ready to stay healthy this summer with these tips.